skip to content

Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service - Preventing, Protecting, Responding

Cooking related incidents


Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service have raised fresh concerns over cooking being left unattended following two more incidents over the weekend despite issuing several warnings about cooking safety last week.


“We say time and time again - do not leave cooking unattended, but the message doesn’t seem to be getting across. "

Station Manager Carl Mason

The first call was received just before 3:30am on Sunday morning reporting a fire at a house on Princes Road in Hartshill. Firefighters from Newcastle and Hanley attended the incident which involved a fire in the ground floor kitchen of a mid terraced property.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using two hose reel jets and rescued one male casualty from the house.

Station Manager Carl Mason said: “We say time and time again - do not leave cooking unattended, but the message doesn’t seem to be getting across.

“People need to realise just how easy it is to cause a kitchen fire – it’s not worth the risk, just stay in the kitchen until you have finished cooking. We would also advise people to avoid cooking if they have been drinking alcohol as it’s very easy to fall asleep unintentionally and before you know it your food has caught fire.

“If food does catch fire, turn off the appliance if it is safe to do so, leave the room closing the door behind you and call the Fire Service. “

Firefighters ventilated the property and left the scene at 4:20am.

Fire control received a second call at 9:30pm yesterday evening reporting a fire at a property on Barrett Drive in Cobridge.  Firefighters from Hanley and Burslem attended the incident which involved a pan that had been left unattended on a cooker and caught fire. The fire was already out when the fire crews arrived.

This incident again highlights the importance of not leaving cooking unattended.
Fortunately nobody was hurt during the incident, one adult female and three children were given precautionary checks by the ambulance service.  The incident was closed at 9:59pm.