skip to content

Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service - Preventing, Protecting, Responding

Severe House Fire in Stafford


Crews from Stafford, Rising Brook and Penkridge including the aerial ladder platform from Stafford were called to a severe house fire on Ranshaw Drive in Forebridge last night.

"This house has been completely gutted by the fire but luckily the woman and her three young children were ok."

Station Manager, Al Bateman

Six people called to report the fire at around 7.20pm; a mother and her three children managed to escape prior to the Fire Service’s arrival.

Station Manager, Al Bateman said: “The fire started in a bedroom however because some of the internal doors were not closed and several windows were open the fire had a ‘chimney’ effect and quickly spread to all three floors of the property.

“It was incredibly lucky that everyone managed to get out as although there were smoke alarms fitted which activated, the family did not evacuate straight away.

“The smoke alarm has been known to activate in the property due to cooking fumes so it appears the activation of the smoke alarm was not initially taken seriously.

“This is what smoke alarms are for – to give an early warning and a better chance of escape and survival, they should not be ignored. This fire could have ended up in tragedy. We would urge people not to be blasé about smoke alarms activating – it’s better to be safe than sorry.

“We would also encourage people to get into the habit of having a good fire routine, for example closing internal doors. Simply closing the door can help to contain a fire which gives you more time to get out safely and call us; this can also help to limit damage to your property. Smoke alarms should also be fitted to each level of the home and tested each week.

“This house has been completely gutted by the fire but luckily the woman and her three young children were ok although they did receive precautionary checks from paramedics at the scene.”

A fire investigation is underway to determine the cause of the fire. Crews left the scene at 1.36am this morning.