Cooking before dawn for Suhoor and after sunset for Iftar can be a challenge. To keep your family safe follow these safety tips.
- Look when you cook! Never leave cooking unattended – take karahi/pans off the heat if you have to leave the room.
- Never fill the karahi more than one-third full of oil.
- If a karahi is smoking excessively, turn off the heat.
- Never throw water on a burning karahi. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so, close the door to the kitchen and leave the house. Get out, stay out and call 999.
- Keep the oven hob and grill clean. A build-up of fat can easily catch fire.
- Clothes and scarves can easily catch fire while you are cooking. Make sure scarves and sleeves from hijabs, shalwar kameez, and saris are out of the way of the flames.
- When you have finished cooking make sure the cooker or oven is turned off.