Festive fans are being urged to follow a series of top tips to ensure they have a safe Christmas and a happy new year.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has been handing out leaflets and putting up posters at community venues across the county in order to spread its message.
It is encouraging people to follow the below advice in order to protect themselves and their families.
• Ensure Christmas lights have the British Safety Standard mark
• Do not attach decorations to lights or heaters as they can burn easily
• Never place candles near to Christmas trees or materials that can catch fire easily
• Do not overload plug sockets and always switch Christmas lights and other electrical appliances off and unplug them before going to bed
• Most fires start in the kitchen – never leave cooking unattended
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service offered all residents in the county a free Home Fire Risk Check which involves a member of staff visiting their home to help identify any potential fire risks and install free smoke alarms where needed.
To book a free check, visit the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service website or call 0800 0241 999 to arrange a suitable time and date. Both male and female personnel carry out Home Fire Risk Checks so if you have a personal preference this can be requested when making an appointment.