Settlements Paid to Firefighters by the Fire Authority
Reference No: 20/2014
Request Date: 18/02/2014
- The number of court-ordered settlements or out-of-court settlements paid to firefighters by the fire authority in the past three years, broken down by year i.e. claims settled in last three years irrespective of original claim date.
- The total cost of these settlements in each of the past three years, broken down by year (i.e. 2012/2013, 2011/12/ 2010/11).
- Please provide a breakdown of each settlements paid to fire-fighters in the past three years to include:
- The date of the the settlement.
- The type of agreement i.e contested compensation claim or out-of-court settlement.
- The total cost of the settlement.
- The cost of Internal legal fees.
- The cost of Claimant legal fees.
- As many details as to why the claim was brought against the authority i.e. a detailed summary of injuries or bullying incidents.
During the last three financial years 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 only two claims have been settled - both out of court.
One claim paid on 30th June 2010 amounting to £5,130 for trainee fire fighter who suffered a dislocated/broken finger when he trapped his hand whilst undertaking “running out the hose” as part of a training drill.
One claim paid on 5th August 2011, amounting to £25,675.50 for fire fighter who sustained injury to lower back by contact with under water rock whilst undertaking swift water training.
No claims settled or payments made.
Total of £30,805.50
There were no legal costs as both settled out of court.