Fitness and gym equipment
Reference No: 054/2015
Request Date: 19/05/2015
- How many of your Wholetime Fire Stations have fitness/gym equipment on site?
- Are your Wholetime Firefighters afforded time to access the fitness equipment whilst on duty as part of their contract?
- How many of your Retained Fire Stations have fitness/gym equipment on site and if so what does it comprise of?
- Are your Retained Firefighters paid to undertake fitness activities similarly to their Wholetime colleagues?
- What incentives does the service provide their Wholetime operational staff to maintain their fitness levels?
- What incentives does the service provide their Retained operational staff to maintain their fitness levels?
- 7 at the current time, Burton will have a gym once the new build is complete. However in the interim they have an agreement with the local gym which enables them to workout as a watch (remaining operational) for £1 per head
- Yes they are afforded an hour for fitness training which might be gym based or a group session such as circuits – depending upon individual preferences and access to local facilities
- 7, at present PFI2 programme is still ongoing. Kit includes: treadmill, rowing machine, spin or exercise bike, dual pulley, matted free weight/core workout area
- No, retained firefighters are not paid to undertake fitness activities
- Both wholetime & retained staff are supported by an in-house health & fitness team to maintain their fitness levels. Easy access gym equipment is available at the majority of stations and staff are encouraged to do this. Outside of this, locally agreed membership discounts are negotiated with gyms and other fitness/training facilities, providing a financial incentive.
- Through the new PFI programme, staff have the incentive of newly equipped, air conditioned gyms to utilise whilst being available for fire calls (thus saving the cost of a gym membership)